A card dealer licensing allows a dealer to legally monitor the activities of a casino, conduct card games for licensed casinos and card rooms and exchange money on their behalf. The duty of a card dealer would depend according to the casino where they are working. A dealer who is not licensed might not be able to deal with cards in games like poker and blackjack. A dealer will have to be annually licensed by Department of Justice in order to be able to work as a card dealer.
A dealer is responsible not just for dealing the cards at the table but he/she will also have to keep a check on the players at the table. The dealer must be able to keep a track and identify any suspicious action or behavior of the players during the game. They can accept the bets, pay the winners and can collect money from the players who lose during the game. Usually dealers will need to specialize in one game but in several smaller casinos they might be required to know all the games.
Requirements for getting a license
To get a license and become a dealer, the below mentioned requirements must be fulfilled:
- The minimum age for getting a license is 18 years old
- The individual should complete the card dealer application
- The correct fees must be paid along with the application
- A copy of the state driver license must be submitted
- A copy of birth certificate or social security must be submitted
- The fingerprint card and a personal history statement will have to be submitted
- There will be a background investigation. An applicant should not have been on probation and should not have committed a felony in the past five years.
- A temporary dealer's license will not be valid till it has been accompanied with a certified mail receipt and till the complete application has been submitted. It is the responsibility of the card room or the casino to ensure that their dealers have a valid license
- A formal interview will be conducted before the license is issued
- The license will be issued or it will be denied depending on the investigation. The license, if issued will be a laminated identity card which will have to be carried with the dealer all the time.
The applications for the card dealer license are available at local driver stations. The local driver examination station will be required to take a photograph of the dealer and will also be responsible for validating the temporary card till the original license has been issued.
Today there are around 92,000 casino employees working throughout the US. The employment can be in small casinos, card rooms or large hotels. In US there are eleven states which have commercial casinos like South Dakota, New Jersey, Nevada, Missouri, Mississippi, Michigan, Louisiana, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois and Colorado. A dealer can apply for a license in any of these states and can work at any of the casinos in these states. Depending on the qualification and the skills of the dealer, the type of job and the remuneration will vary. Dealers at almost every casino can participate in casino employees championship.